Thursday 19 May 2011

Platform 28

82 Village Street
Docklands 3008

Like many others, my Platform 28 experience came care of a work function to farewell a colleague. I should apologise in advance for the lack of photos, whipping out the camera during a 'work event' just screams 'geek' a little too loudly.

Surprisingly, the setting at Platform 28 is pretty intimate. As we were lead to our table, the modern decor and upbeat vibe was encouraging. Our area was very cosy and very dimly lit. Others have complained that staff were slow to provide menus and take orders for drinks. Fortunately, I found the service to be prompt and well organised. One colleague was late and ordered when the rest of us had received our meals, but it was not long before hers followed. Despite this, the staff were cold and unprofessional. We were asked to take our own plates from their hands and they cared little about smiling and making us feel welcomed. I even caught a waitress rolling her eyes after handing us our drinks. Totally unacceptable.

My steak sandwich was way below restaurant quality, but acceptable for 'pub food'. I'm not entirely sure where on this spectrum Platform 28 attempts to position itself, though it seems more towards the 'restaurant' side. The steak was tough and a battle to cut through. It was obvious that the meat was not of good quality when I bit into a section of gristle. The sourdough bread was over toasted and as tough as the meat it held. The flavour itself was acceptable, the caramelised onion really lifting the dish. The chips were chips and nothing to sing or complain about. My colleagues had the chicken risotto, steak and mushroom pie, prawn red curry and fish and chips. Of all these, the chicken risotto looked terrible, but I was left wishing I had ordered the pie. Admittedly, there were no complaints as to taste but by the same token, no praises either.

Any opportunity to escape from the office is a welcome one, but I would not return to Platform 28 if I had to foot the bill. If you're after average food served with a generous side of bad attitude, then Platform 28 may appeal. For the majority of us, this is one to forget.

Casual Dining/Pub


Food - 2/5
Ambience - 3.5/5
Service - 1/5
Price - 3/5

Total - 9.5/20  

Platform 28 on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment